Some friends recently told me to go see “SOMM,” a feature documentary that follows four sommeliers as they get ready to take the Master Sommelier exam—a test with one of the lowest pass rates in the world. According to The New York Times, the exam is so difficult that fewer than 200 people have passed since 1969.
On our blog, we’ve interviewed Jennifer Simonetti-Bryan, the fourth woman and among only 30 people in the U.S. to ever attain the international title of Master of Wine (MW), one of the highest standards of knowledge in the wine industry.
So it seems that lately, winemaking and wine smarts are trending, and even the celebs are getting into the wine game. It’s been a long time that Frances Ford Coppola has been making wine in Napa, but here’s a list of some actors, musicians, and athletes that are not just drinking it, but are also involved in making and selling it.
- Drew Barrymore at Barrymore Wines in Italy
- Adrian Grenier in Paso Robles, California
- Ramona Singer in Italy
- Antonio Banderas at Anta Banderas in Spain
- Nancy Pelosi at Zinfandel Lane Vineyard in St. Helena, California
- Olivia Newton-John at Koala Blue Wines in South Australia
- Dave Matthews at Blenheim Vineyards in Virginia
- Madonna at Ciccone Vineyard in Michigan
- Wayne Gretzky at No. 99 Estates Winery in Canada
- Fergie at Ferguson Crest at Santa Ynez Valley, California
- Joe Montana at Montagia Wines in Napa, California
- Andrea Bocelli in Italy
- Kurt Russell in California
- Sting in Italy